Port Blair, Feb. 14: Two persons died and three including a child were admitted at G.B. Pant Hospital, Port Blair after they consumed Potka Mach (Puffer Fish).

The incident took place yesterday night at Wandoor when the family members of Bappa Majumder 30, his wife Manju Majumder 22, his child, his brother-in-law Tarun Das 25 and a relative Sudhir Biswas 45 had consumed Puffer Fish.


According to reports the five of them had consumed Puffer Fish by extracting its egg and also Shanker Machi (Ray).  It was late in the night that the five suffered from severe vomiting. They were immediately shifted to G.B. Pant Hospital, Port Blair where Bappa Majumder and Tarun Das were declared brought dead.

Other three victims Manju Majumder, Sudhir Biswas and the child are undergoing treatment at the hospital. Sources add that the condition of the child is critical.

Meanwhile researcher Manish Chandi from ANET explained that the reason for poisoning is due to Puffer Fish and not Ray. They are poisonous, but can be eaten by some people who know how to prepare it. It’s eaten in some places even in the Nicobars, where people are aware of the risks.